The Violet Sake is a cocktail made with Japanese rice wine and prickly pear. It is a popular drink at EPCOT in Walt Disney World.
Enjoy one of EPCOT’s most popular cocktails at home! The Violet Sake is a sake and prickly pear cocktail from the Japan pavilion in the World Showcase. It is a beautiful shade of purple and tastes like candy!
What is a Violet Sake?
The Violet Sake is a sake-based cocktail. You can find it at the Japan pavilion in EPCOT at Walt Disney World. It is a mixture of sake, prickly pear syrup, and citrus juice. The result is a sweet cocktail that tastes like candy. It’s delicious and great for sipping as you explore the World Showcase at EPCOT.
Sake is a Japanese rice wine. It is made from fermented rice. The rice is polished in order to remove the bran. This cocktail uses sake as the base alcohol ingredient.
Prickly pear, or desert pear, is a sweet fruit that grows on cacti. Its flavor can be compared to melon and kiwi with a hint of bubblegum. The Violet Sake uses prickly pear syrup to sweeten the cocktail. It also gives the cocktail its vivid color.
Where Can I Find a Violet Sake at EPCOT?
The Violet Sake is available at the Japan pavilion’s outdoor Garden House Sake Bar. It is only available at the outside bar. Garden House is operated by Mitsukoshi, along with a few other shops and dining locations within the Japan pavilion. Mitsukoshi is a Japanese-owned department store that works with Disney. This cocktail contains sake, prickly pear, and lime. It tastes like a Jolly Rancher candy and is a favorite EPCOT cocktail.
If you’re “Drinking Around the World” at EPCOT, then I recommend this cocktail. And if you’re not at EPCOT, you can try the drink at home!
Ingredients Needed for a Violet Sake
- Sake – Sake is available for purchase at wine shops, or in the wine section of the grocery store.
- Desert Pear Syrup – This syrup is the same thing as prickly pear syrup. It probably isn’t available in stores, so purchase it online. Monin and Torani both sell this syrup.
- Lemon Juice – While the Violet Sake at WDW contains lime, I prefer lemon juice. The lemon flavor is a little brighter and more noticeable with the desert pear syrup.
- Crushed Ice – This drink tastes best slightly diluted, so serve it over crushed or pebble ice. This ice melts quickly and dilutes the cocktail.
How to Make a Violet Sake
The Violet Sake is a simple cocktail. It only requires three ingredients, but its flavor and color are sure to impress any guests. Especially Disney World lovers!
First, add 4 ounces of sake to a cocktail shaker. Then, add 2 ounces of desert pear syrup and 1 ounce of lemon juice. Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Shake to combine and chill the ingredients.
Strain the cocktail over crushed ice in a highball glass. Finally, garnish the drink with a round lemon slice. Float the slice of lemon over the top of the drink.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
Can I Make This Cocktail Ahead of Time?
Yes! Combine the sake, desert pear syrup, and lemon juice in an airtight container. Store the cocktail in the refrigerator without ice for up to 24 hours.
Shake, or stir, the cocktail before serving. Serve over ice and garnish as usual.
More Fun Disney-Inspired Cocktails and Snacks
- cocktail shaker
- 4 oz sake
- 2 oz Desert Pear syrup
- 1 oz lemon juice
- Add sake, desert pear syrup, and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine and chill the ingredients.
- Strain the cocktail over crushed ice in a highball glass
- Garnish with a round lemon slice floating on top of the cocktail.