A copycat recipe for the Yub Nub drink from Oga’s Cantina at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge at Disney World. It’s a spiced rum and citrus cocktail.
Nothing beats walking around Batuu at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, then enjoying a cocktail at Oga’s Cantina. Unfortunately, I don’t live near Disney! So I decided to recreate the magic of some of my favorite treats from Galaxy’s Edge at home.
This is a copycat recipe for the Yub Nub drink. The Yub Nub is a spiced rum cocktail with citrus and passion fruit. It has a delicious spiced flavor but is also sweet.
Why Is the Drink Called a Yub Nub?
The Ewoks, from Episode 6: Return of the Jedi, are the inspiration for this cocktail name. The Ewoks are adorable creatures that look like teddy bears. They yell “Yub nub” throughout the movie. According to Wookiepedia, “Yub nub” means “hooray” in Ewokese.
At Disney’s Galaxy’s Edge, the Yub Nub drink is served in a souvenir ceramic mug. The mug looks similar to a Tiki mug. It has “carvings” that show the Ewoks fighting the Empire during the Battle of Endor.
Due to the souvenir mug, the Yub Nub is the most expensive drink on the menu. It costs upwards of $45. But you can enjoy the cocktail at home for much less!
What’s In a Yub Nub Drink?
According to the Oga’s Cantina menu, the Yub Nub contains pineapple rum, spiced rum, citrus juices, and passion fruit. For this copycat recipe, you need:
- Spiced rum – Be sure to use spiced rum! Spiced rum is infused with spices, like cinnamon and cloves. This gives it a different flavor than dark rum.
- Coconut rum – The original cocktail at Oga’s uses pineapple rum. So if you prefer, you can use pineapple. But coconut works amazingly well too.
- Passion Fruit juice – Passion Fruit juice is available in most grocery stores. It is more easily accessible than the puree they use at Disney.
- Pineapple juice – Buy the small canned pineapple juice for cocktails. This keeps waste minimal.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice is best for cocktails. The flavor is brighter on the palette. However, bottled juice works fine too.
- Angostura bitters – If you make cocktails regularly at home, then you probably have angostura bitters on hand. The bitters help balance the flavor of the cocktail. And they cut the sweetness a bit.
How to Make a Yub Nub Drink
This cocktail is the perfect drink for May the 4th or a Star Wars movie night! To start, fill an old-fashioned glass or small tumbler about three-quarters full with crushed or pebble ice. You could also use a fun Star Wars mug or glass! I’ve linked a few options below. Set the glass aside.
Add 2 ounces of spiced rum to a cocktail shaker. Then add 2 ounces of passion fruit juice, half an ounce of coconut rum, half an ounce of pineapple juice, and three-quarters of an ounce of lime juice.
Sub Coconut Rum for Pineapple Rum
According to the Oga’s Cantina menu, the original Yub Nub drink contains pineapple rum. Pineapple rum is widely available in stores. It is not difficult to find. However, it’s not a flavor of liquor that I find myself using often. I always have coconut rum on hand for other cocktails, like Mermaid Water. The coconut rum slightly changes the flavor of the drink. But I find the taste difference minimal. And I love the coconut. Use whichever flavor is easiest for you!
Use a citrus juicer to juice the fresh lime to retrieve as much juice as possible. Typically, half of a large lime contains about three-quarters of an ounce of juice.
Finally, add a single dash of angostura bitters. The bitters balance the flavors of the cocktail and cut the sweetness a bit.
Add ice to the cocktail shaker, then shake to combine the ingredients. Pour the cocktail using a strainer.
Garnish the cocktail with a slice of lime. And for a fun Star Wars touch, add a Star Wars-themed straw! I added an Ewok LEGO to the rim of my glass. We have a lot of Star Wars LEGO, so this was an easy add for me.
Shop this Post
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
More Fun Star Wars Snacks and Drinks
- Jedi Mind Trick Copycat Recipe
- Star Wars Snack Board (Includes):
- Chewbacca Cookies
- Lightsaber Pretzels
- Pigs in a Blanket X-Wings
Yub Nub Drink
- cocktail shaker
- citrus juicer
- 2 oz spiced rum
- 2 oz passion fruit juice
- 1/2 oz coconut rum
- 1/2 oz pineapple juice
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Fill an old-fashioned glass or small tumbler about three-quarters. Set aside.
- Add spiced rum, passion fruit juice, coconut rum, pineapple juice, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add a single dash of Angostura bitters.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker and shake to combine.
- Strain into the glass of pebble ice.
- Add a lime slice for garnish.