This Pumpkin Spice Margarita is the perfect fall cocktail! It’s made with pumpkin puree, a few spices, tequila, and a splash of maple syrup!
This cocktail may be a little controversial because people seem to either love or hate pumpkin spice. But I’m in the LOVE camp. And it’s pumpkin spice season! So I made a fun Pumpkin Spice Margarita recipe to enjoy this Fall!
It has a rich fall flavor thanks to the spices and a splash of maple syrup. But it also has that distinct lime and tequila flavor of a margarita.
This is the perfect cocktail for pumpkin spice lovers and margarita fans! It’s the best of both worlds! Serve this at your next fall bonfire, or during a cozy movie night.
Looking for more delicious Fall cocktails? Try this Pumpkin Sangria!
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin Spice Margarita
This pumpkin pie margarita is a unique and fun spin on a classic margarita. A basic margarita contains tequila, lime juice, and orange liquor. They are served over ice in a highball glass or cold in a stemmed margarita glass. Margaritas are excellent cocktails to experiment with different flavors, like pumpkin!
I was a little skeptical when I started experimenting with this cocktail, but I proved myself wrong! Shaking the pumpkin puree over ice breaks it up, so there are no chunks or strange consistencies. The balance of the pumpkin, with the earthy spices and the acidity of the lime juice, is delicious.
But the maple syrup is what truly makes the margarita delicious. It is sweet, and rich, with hints of caramel and vanilla. It compliments the pumpkin and spices and balances the salty flavor of the tequila.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Margaritas
- Pumpkin Purée – Canned pumpkin puree works well for this recipe. If you’re baking any pumpkin treats, just aside a few tablespoons for margaritas! Don’t use pumpkin pie filling!
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend – Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of warm, aromatic spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg. That pumpkin spice flavor is what most people associate with pumpkin treats since the pumpkin flavor is so mild.
- Maple Syrup – The star of this cocktail is the maple syrup. It balances the earthy flavor of the pumpkin and spices with the citrus juice and salty flavor of tequila. It adds sweetness and depth of flavor that simple syrup doesn’t.
- Tequila – Use a blanco tequila, or silver tequila, for this cocktail. It has a clear agave flavor and pairs best with citrus.
- Triple Sec – This liquor enhances the citrus flavors of this pumpkin pie margarita recipe because it is made from oranges. Substitute triple sec for Cointreau or any other orange liqueur.
- Lime Juice – This citrus flavor is key for any margarita. It gives the cocktail its signature flavor, which should still be present under additional flavors. Fresh lime juice is best, but bottled lime juice is an acceptable substitute.
Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice
Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Some blends also include allspice. Most grocery stores carry a preblended pumpkin pie spice, especially this time of year. But if you don’t have that on hand, making your own is simple.
Measure out equal parts of each spice. Since this pumpkin margarita recipe only calls for 1/8 teaspoon of pumpkin spice for each margarita, you don’t need much. I’d recommend 1/8 teaspoon of each. Use any extra for additional cocktails.
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
Combine in a small bowl. Then store any leftovers in a small airtight container. Or in a Ziploc bag.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Margarita
These amazing spiced margaritas are a fun fall cocktail for cool Autumn days or enjoying with friends around a firepit at night. They are flavorful and delicious.
Step 1 – Combine the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, tequila, triple sec, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker.
Step 2 – Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Then firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients and chill them. Shaking with ice also helps break up the pumpkin puree!
Step 3 – Strain the drink into a cocktail glass with a cinnamon sugar rim. Garnish with a cinnamon stick!
What Type of Glass Do I Use?
- Margarita glass – Margarita glasses are an obvious choice for margaritas. They have a stem and a wide mouth. A wide-mouth glass allows the alcohol to “breathe” or disperse more evenly. The stem allows the drink to stay cold. You hold a margarita glass by the stem so the cocktail doesn’t warm from your hands.
- Short tumbler – Not everyone has a set of margarita glasses at home. So a short tumbler is also perfect for a margarita. With this glass, you add ice to keep your cocktail cold. I used a short tumbler with this margarita recipe. And I added a straw for stirring when the spices started to sink to the bottom.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
Add a Cinnamon Sugar Rim
Elevate the appearance of your easy pumpkin spice margarita with a cinnamon sugar rim. It makes the rim of your glass pretty and delicious!
First, rub a small slice of lime along the rim of the glass. This creates a wet and sticky surface for the sugar and cinnamon to stick to.
Next, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish and evenly spread it along the bottom of the dish. Flip the cocktail glass upside down and dip it in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Can I Make This Margarita in Advance?
Yes! Margaritas are great for making ahead of time! However, the pumpkin puree and spices make storing this cocktail a little more involved. Combine all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake with ice. Then strain the margaritas into an airtight jar or bottle without the ice. Store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Shake the jar or bottle before serving to break up the sediment of spices along the bottom. Then pour the cocktail over ice or into a margarita glass.
You may store this cocktail in the refrigerator for up to a week. However, the flavor profile may change slightly the longer you store it!
This delicious cocktail is the perfect fall margarita! It blends so many fun flavors of fall with a classic margarita recipe to create a delectable fall drink. It’s a great Thanksgiving margarita or a perfect drink for Halloween parties.
More Favorite Fall Cocktails for You To Try
Pumpkin Spice Margarita
- cocktail shaker
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Combine pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, tequila, triple sec, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker.
- Add a handful of ice and firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients, chill them, and break up the pumpkin puree.
- Strain the drink into a cocktail glass with a cinnamon sugar rim. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.