A limoncello spritz is a refreshing, tart spritz made with limoncello, Prosecco, and seltzer. It’s a perfect spritz for the summer or spring!
A spritz is the perfect cocktail for enjoying after a meal or in warm weather. They are refreshing and a perfect blend of bitter and sweet. Plus, they are a little bubbly.
A limoncello spritz is incredibly delicious in the summer because it’s almost like a sparkling lemonade. The bitter lemon taste of limoncello pairs so well with ice-cold Prosecco.
What Is a Limoncello Spritz?
A spritz is a wine-based cocktail with prosecco, a bitter liquor, and a splash of sparkling soda water. A Limoncello Spritz contains limoncello versus a more traditional bitter liquor like Campari or Aperol.
Limoncello is an Italian liquor made with lemon zest. It is most popular in Southern Italy, particularly along the Amalfi coast. Limoncello is extremely tart, but also a little bitter. It is part of the digestivo liquor family. Digestivi are served after meals to aid digestion. But some are also served prior to meals as well.
You can make your own limoncello at home, or purchase it at your local liquor store.
Ingredients for a Limoncello Spritz
- Limoncello: This slightly bitter Italian liquor is made by soaking lemon peels in alcohol, like vodka. It has a very strong, tart flavor.
- Prosecco: Use sparkling wine, like Prosecco or Cava, to add a touch of sweetness to this cocktail. It also adds bubbles, which lightens the flavor of the limoncello.
- Seltzer: The seltzer adds more carbonation and helps balance the cocktail.
- Rosemary: Garnish this spritz with a sprig of rosemary or a few mint leaves. The rosemary adds a rich, earthy smell and flavor. But the mint adds a refreshing minty smell and flavor.
- Lemon slices: Garnish with lemon slices as well.
This Cocktail Pairs Well With:
A limoncello spritz is tart, bubbly, slightly sweet, and slightly bitter. The complex flavors pair well with lighter Italian fare like seafood or vegetables. Since limoncello is a digestivo, it is usually served after dinner. So try it with fruit, chocolate, or tiramisu.
How to Make a Limoncello Spritz
A limoncello spritz is incredibly easy to make. It follows the cocktail rule of 3:2:1. Three parts of one ingredient, two parts of another, and one part of the final ingredient. This spritz is three parts Prosecco, two parts limoncello, and one part seltzer.
Step 1 – Fill a stemless wine glass approximately three-quarters full of crushed or pebble ice. Any type of ice will do, but I prefer the smaller ice.
Step 2 – Add 3 ounces of Prosecco to the glass. Be sure it’s three ounces of Prosecco and not just foam!
Step 3 – Add 2 ounces of limoncello.
Step 4 – Add 1 ounce of seltzer. Use plain seltzer or lemon seltzer for this cocktail.
Step 5 – Stir to combine. Use a straw or a cocktail stirrer.
Step 6 – Garnish the cocktail with slices of lemon and a bit of mint or rosemary.
Can I Make this Spritz in Advance?
Unfortunately, you cannot prepare this cocktail in advance. The prosecco will go flat. It is best to make and enjoy a spritz right away!
Make It In Bulk!
If you’re entertaining a group, consider making this cocktail in bulk. Add a bottle of Prosecco to a large pitcher. Then add 2 cups of limoncello and a cup of seltzer. Serve the cocktail promptly to avoid the Prosecco going flat.
More Sparkling Wine Cocktails
- 3 oz prosecco
- 2 oz limoncello
- 1 oz seltzer
- Fill a stemless wine glass 3/4 with ice.
- Pour in 3 oz of Prosecco.
- Add 2 oz of Limoncello.
- Top with 1 oz of seltzer.
- Stir with a straw to combine.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and a sprig of rosemary.