Quick and Easy Hummus Recipe
This quick and easy hummus recipe is absolutely delicious. The blend of spices and garbanzo beans creates a rich flavor. It’s delicious as a dip with pita chips or veggies, or as a side dish!
Hummus is not something that I grew up eating as a kid. My parents were never into Mediterranean or Middle Eastern food, so I’d never tried it. I had it for the first time in college when Jesse took me on a date to his favorite little Greek spot. It came with a side of warm pita bread and I was immediately hooked. After we got married, fresh out of college and on a tight budget, we realized that it was way more cost effective to make our hummus at home instead of buying it at the store. We worked on the hummus recipe for awhile, tweaking, until we had a version that we enjoyed that was simple to make. Now, we still eat a lot of hummus in our house, especially when the weather is warm. I like to whip up a quick batch of homemade hummus for lunch during the week. I will eat it by itself with veggies or pretzels usually. It also goes great as a side with my Mediterranean Sheet Pan meal, along with a little tzatziki sauce.
Homemade Hummus Recipe
Start by draining and rinsing one 15.5 oz can of garbanzo beans (aka chick peas). Don’t dump out all of the bean juice though! You will add a bit of it to the hummus to help create a creamy consistency. We actually eat garbanzo beans fairly regularly, so we always have a can in the pantry. Next, add about 2 tablespoons of bean juice, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of parsley, a sprinkle of paprika plus salt and pepper to a small food processor. I have the Ninja Express Chop, which is perfect for making dips and sauces. Pulse the food processor a few times until everything is chopped and then blend until smooth. You may need to add more olive oil as you blend to be sure the hummus is creamy and smooth. I prefer to use fresh parsley in my hummus recipe, but you can certainly use dried parsley instead. Top the hummus with a bit more parsley and a dusting more of paprika, then serve as either a dip or a side dish.
Quick and Easy Hummus Recipe
- 15.5 oz garbanzo beans aka chick peas
- 2 tbsp juice from the garbanzo beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp fresh parsley minced
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- sprinkle paprika
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse one 15.5 oz can of garbanzo beans (aka chick peas). Set aside about 2 tbsp of the juice from the bean can.
- Add the garbanzo beans (aka chick peas), bean juice, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic, ground cumin, a sprinkle of paprika plus salt and pepper to a small food processor. I have the Ninja Express Chop.
- Pulse the food processor a few times until everything is chopped.
- Blend until smooth. Add more olive oil as needed to ensure a creamy consistency.
- Serve with pita chips, veggies or with your favorite Mediterranean dish.