Jesse and I are weird, as if you didn’t already know that. We like Star Wars, talking in weird voices and we eat soup in the summer. Yep, you read that correctly, soup in the summer. Soup is definitely one of our comfort foods, so when we have a day at home to just hang out we like to fill the house with the aromas of a homemade soup. Plus I make good soup, if I do say so myself. A great summer soup is Chicken Tortilla soup because it goes great with an ice cold Corona. 😉
– Chicken (either leftover baked chicken or boiled breasts)
– 2-3 cups of chicken broth or stock
– 1/2 one white onion (diced)
– 1/2 one red onion (diced)
– 1 can of diced tomatoes (drained)
– Diced green pepper
– Diced red, orange or yellow pepper (I usually pick 2 or do all 3)
– 1 large jalepeno (diced)
– 1 cup of frozen corn
– 2 cans Great Northern Beans
– 1 can black beans
– 4 gloves of garlic
– Cayenne Pepper (however hot you like it)
– Cumin (to taste)
– Chili powder (to taste)
– Fresh cilantro (chop a few sprigs to cook and a few for garnish)
– 1 tsp. lime juice (or to taste)
– 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
– Salt (to taste)
– Pepper (to taste)
Let’s Get Cookin’
– Boil your chicken in about 1/2 a pot of water until so tender it just falls apart. Remove and shred then add it back to the pot set on medium to medium high heat.
– Add your broth and beans (rinsed thoroughly).
– Let it cook for about 30 minutes and then add the rest of your ingredients.
– Bring to a simmer and cook for another 30 minutes. The key is to not overcook your peppers into mush.
– Garnish your soup with cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips and fresh cilantro. This is key to a delicious soup!
– Enjoy! And don’t forget the Corona!
Does anyone else like soup in the summer? Or ice cream in the winter? Or any other seasonably incorrect meals?
Chicken Tortilla soup is my absolute all-time favorite soup. Looks great! I’m with you on the weather thing.. I like it all year round.
Glad we’re not the only weird ones! 😉
This looks delicious! And I don’t think it’s weird to have soup in the Summer – it felt like 100 degrees in our apartment yesterday and I was standing over the stove making pasta!
Haha! That’a my logic behind it, you have too cook over the stove anyway!
I eat soup ALL summer long. Also I love hot coffee in the summer, when I stayed in the Dominican Republic for the summer I LOVED starting my morning with HOT HOT coffee and bread dipped in it. Dont ask me if that is a normal thing there – I have no idea, but the people I was with did it so I did to!
I make a similar tortilla soup and it is a family fave! My little brother requests it every time he comes over!
I love soup year round too. Maybe not on the sweltering humid days but most others. I also love ice cream year round.
I love soup all the time ! 🙂 Your pics make this look delicious!
Looks great! I would eat that year round too!
I’ve never eaten soup in the summer but if I could have it with a Corona I just might 🙂
I definitely need to try this, I am a wanna be soup maker. hahaha
This looks tasty! I eat way too much soup in the winter so it’s banned until fall. 😉
I LOVE soup all year long. Dallas isn’t quite as enthusiastic about it as I am, but he dislikes going hungry, so shuts up and eats it. I just made white chicken chili last week, in fact. This looks deeeeelish!!!