Enjoy a delicious treat for May the 4th or a Star Wars movie night with these Star Wars galaxy cupcakes! They look out of this world!
These Galaxy cupcakes look amazing! They have the appearance of looking into space, from the comfort of your home. They are the perfect treat for learning about space or watching Star Wars.
What Makes These Galaxy Cupcakes So Fun?
These cupcakes are so fun because they truly look like little galaxies. They don’t take long to make. And you don’t need to be great at decorating cakes!
They are perfect for a space-themed party or as a treat to go with learning about space. They are also perfect for a Star Wars movie night, party, or May the Fourth celebration.
Ingredients Needed for Galaxy Cupcakes
- Cupcakes – Bake cupcakes or use non-iced cupcakes from the grocery store.
- Vanilla Icing – Vanilla icing is best because it is easier to dye. You need at least 2 tubs of vanilla icing. Or make your own buttercream icing if you prefer.
- Purple, Blue, and Black Food Coloring – The colors in the icing combined creates the look of the galaxy. These cupcakes are so beautiful.
- Edible Glitter – Use blue, silver, or black edible glitter to give the cupcakes more of a galaxy appearance. My favorite brand is Fancy Sprinkles! They have a great selection of glitter colors. Use code 15Ashley for 15% off! (Affiliate link!)
- Star and Galaxy Sprinkles – The silver sprinkles are the final touch to finish off the space appearance of these galaxy cupcakes.
Baking Tools Needed for These Star Wars Cupcakes
- Piping bags – Using a piping bag with decorative tips is the easiest way to create great-looking cupcakes.
- Icing Coupler – The couple holds the decorative tips in place and connects the tip to the piping bag.
- Decorative Tips – A large tip with a simple pattern is best for these galaxy cupcakes.
- Plastic wrap – Plastic wrap helps achieve the mix of three colors without buying a special tool.
- Tri-Color Coupler Set – Save yourself a headache and just buy the tri-color couple set! This is the easiest way to pull off tri-color cupcakes if you don’t have time to learn cake decorating!
Shop this Post
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
How To Make Galaxy Cupcakes
These cupcakes are simple to make. Just bake your favorite cupcakes. I always use a box mix for baking cupcakes at home. It’s easy and I know they will taste delicious!
Then frost them using a combination of colors to look like outer space. Don’t let the frosting intimidate you! It’s not as difficult as it may seem.
Step 1 – Dye the vanilla frosting light purple, light blue and black. Use gel coloring for the best results. Liquid food coloring may thin the frosting and make it too runny.
Step 2 – Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap. Create a row of each icing color side by side. Then wrap the saran wrap into a log. Twist the ends to close it. Place this in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Step 3 – Insert the plastic wrapped roll of icing into a piping bag. Snip the end of the bag and the plastic wrapped roll. Attached your desired decorative tip.
Step 4 – Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes. It doesn’t need to be perfect!
Step 5 – Use a knife to smooth the surface of the cupcakes. The colors will still show through! This just gives them a more gray appearance. Plus, smoothing the cupcakes hides any poor icing mishaps!
Step 6 – Sprinkle the cupcakes with silver sprinkles, edible glitter, then black or star-shaped sprinkles.
How to Make Black Food Coloring
If you can’t find black food coloring at the store, it is simple to make your own. In a small bowl, mix equal parts red, blue, and yellow food coloring. The result is a deep black.
Why Use a Tri-Color Coupler Set?
The Tri-Color Couple Set saves you a lot of mess and frustration. If you don’t consider yourself great at decorating cakes, this makes things fool-proof. Each icing has it’s own coupler and piping bag. The three couplers on the bag connect to a larger couple with a large decorative tip. Twist the ends of the three piping bags together. Squeeze as through the three separate bags are one large bag.
I made my cupcakes without the tri-color set. And while I love the way they turned out, I purchased the set for next time!
Can You Make These Cupcakes In Advance?
Absolutely. Just like any cupcake these can be made a day or two in advance. Just store them in an air tight container that is tall enough to not smoosh the icing! Keep the container in a cool place out of the sun. This keeps the icing from melting!
Occasions Perfect for Star Wars Galaxy Cupcakes
These cupcakes are perfect for a variety of occasions! Make them for:
- Star Wars Birthday Parties
- Movie Nights
- May the Fourth
- Space-themed Birthday Parties
- To go with any school lessons about space!
More Fun Star Wars Treats and Drinks
- Piping bags
- Icing coupler
- Decorating tip
- plastic wrap
- tri-color coupler set If you have this, then you won't need the other coupler, tip, or plastic wrap
- 12 cupcakes
- 32 oz vanilla frosting
- purple gel food coloring
- blue gel food coloring
- black gel food coloring
- edible glitter
- silver or "galaxy" sprinkles
- Dye the vanilla frosting light purple, light blue and black.
- Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap. Create a row of each icing color side by side.
- Wrap the saran wrap into a log. Twist the ends to close it. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Insert the plastic-wrapped roll of icing into a piping bag.
- Snip the ends of the plastic wrap roll and piping bag.
- Apply a frosting coupler and a large decorative tip.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes.
- Use a knife to smooth the surface of the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle the cupcakes with silver sprinkles, edible glitter, then black or star-shaped sprinkles.
How to Make Black Food Coloring
- Mix equal parts red, blue, and yellow food coloring.
How to Use a Tri-Color Coupler
- Add each icing color to a separate piping bag.
- Attach a coupler to each piping bag.
- Attach all three couplers and bags to a larger couple and decorative tip.
- Twist the ends of the three piping bags together.
- Squeeze the bags as one large bag to apply the icing.