This peach bourbon smash is the perfect summer cocktail. It’s made with fresh peaches, mint, maple syrup, bourbon, and ginger beer.
A Bourbon Smash is a fun cocktail found on craft cocktail menus. But they are simple to create at home. A homemade smash with sweet peaches, smooth bourbon, and fresh mint is sure to impress your guests. All you need for this cocktail are five simple ingredients, a cocktail shaker, and a muddler.
This delicious drink is great for a bourbon lover, those who like sweet cocktails, and fans of the Moscow mule. Try it for your next cocktail party and impress your guests.
What Is a Bourbon Smash?
A “Smash” cocktail is a type of Julep. Juleps are a classic cocktail. They contain spirits, mint, and sugar. But the difference between the two is that a Smash also contains muddled fruit. A Bourbon Smash is a smash made with bourbon.
Many different fruits are used in Smashes. The most popular are berries or pitted fruits, like cherries or peaches. This Peach Bourbon Smash recipe is a great summertime drink because it uses peaches, a seasonal fruit. The sweetness and peach flavor pair well with the rich taste of bourbon.
Smashes also require a sugar. This peach bourbon cocktail recipe uses maple syrup in place of a simple syrup or straight sugar. The caramelized flavor is the perfect addition to this cocktail.
Ingredients for a Peach Bourbon Smash
- Peaches – Muddled fresh peach slices are best for this cocktail. But thawed frozen peaches are a great alternative. Be sure to use ripe peaches for optimal flavor!
- Mint – Use fresh mint leaves to muddle with the peaches.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice adds acidity and brightness to the cocktail.
- Maple Syrup – Delicious maple syrup gives the cocktail a richer flavor than just regular simple syrup. It tastes rich and caramelized, which complements the peaches and bourbon.
- Bourbon – This rich and smooth spirit makes for a delicious and refreshing cocktail. Bourbon has notes of caramel and vanilla, much like maple syrup, it pairs well with peaches. Use your favorite bourbon or a mid-shelf brand like Maker’s Mark or Four Roses. More affordable bourbon brands include Evan Williams and Jim Bean. Cocktails don’t require top-shelf spirits. I used Evan Williams for this drink.
- Ginger Beer – This spicy carbonated beverage is like ginger ale but with a lot more flavor. The ginger almost burns your throat it’s so strong. That strong ginger taste mellows out a bit when mixed with bourbon, peaches, and maple syrup. And it cuts the sweetness of those other ingredients. It’s the perfect finisher for this Bourbon Smash. If you don’t like the taste of ginger, use club soda or soda water instead.
Cocktail Tools You’ll Need
- Muddler – You need a muddler to smash the peaches and mint leaves. It releases the flavors of the fruit and leaves into the cocktail.
- Strainer (Optional) – I don’t like chunky cocktails. So I prefer to use a strainer to remove them from my drinks. However, many people like the additional flavor of having the smashed fruit and leaves in the cocktail glass. This is a personal preference. The cocktail tastes great either way!
How to Make a Peach Bourbon Smash
Peaches are in season during the summer, but this tasty cocktail is great all year round. A bourbon peach smash is a great drink for bourbon or sweet cocktail lovers alike. And they are easy to prepare.
Step 1 – Add the peaches, 3-4 mint leaves, and lemon juice to the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler to smash (aka muddle) the fruit and leaves.
Step 2 – Add bourbon, and maple syrup to the smashed mixture.
Step 3 – Add a handful of ice cubes to the shaker. Then firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients and chill them.
Step 4 – Use a mesh strainer to strain the cocktail into a glass over ice. Top with ginger beer.
Step 5 – Garnish the cocktail with fresh sliced peaches on a food pick and mint leaves.
What Type of Glass Do I Use?
- Lowball or Old Fashioned Glass – These glasses, also called a rocks glass, are short and sturdy. They are typically thicker than the standard cocktail glass so that you can muddle in the glass directly. They have a wide mouth that lets the cocktail breathe. And so the drinker can inhale the smells of the spirits as they drink.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
Can I Make This Smash in Advance?
Yes! Smashes are great for making ahead of time! Combine all of the ingredients except the soda, without ice. Store in an airtight jar or glass bottle until it is time to serve. Strain the cocktail when serving. After straining the stored smash over ice, top it with ginger beer.
You may store this cocktail in the refrigerator for up to a week. However, the flavor profile may change a bit the longer you store it! The mint and peach flavors will infuse with the bourbon over time.
More Cocktails to Try!
Peach Bourbon Smash
- 1 cocktail muddler
- 1 cocktail shaker
- 1/4 cup fresh peaches cubed
- 3 whole mint leaves
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 2.5 oz Bourbon
- .5 oz maple syrup
- 4 oz ginger beer
- Add peaches, mint leaves, and lemon juice to the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler to smash the fruit and leaves together.
- Add bourbon, and maple syrup to the smashed mixture.
- Add a handful of ice cubes to the shaker. Firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients and chill them.
- Use a mesh strainer to strain the cocktail into a glass over ice.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish the cocktail with fresh sliced peaches on a food pick and mint leaves.