Mix up a traditional margarita by using moonshine instead of tequila! These blackberry moonshine margaritas are sweet, tart, and delicious!
Do you love the idea of a margarita, but not a fan of tequila? Or just looking to mix up your cocktails? This moonshine margarita is the perfect cocktail to try! It is made with Ole Smoky Blackberry Moonshine, triple sec, and lime juice. It has the zestiness for a margarita, with a sweeter flavor.
Fans of moonshine recipes need to try my Moonshine Sour. They are sweet and refreshing!
What is a Moonshine Margarita?
Margaritas are a classic cocktail made with tequila, orange liquor, and lime juice. A moonshine margarita substitutes the tequila for moonshine. The result is a delicious citrusy cocktail without the tequila flavor.
Another fun thing about moonshine is the vast selection of flavors. There are so many different moonshine flavors, the cocktail possibilities are endless. This recipe specifically calls for blackberry moonshine, but feel free to substitute with any of your favorite fun flavors! Flavored moonshine is fairly sweet, so this cocktail doesn’t need any additional simple syrup or sweetener.
Ingredients for a Blackberry Moonshine Margarita
- Ole Smoky Blackberry Moonshine – This delicious blackberry moonshine is sweet and strong. It’s perfect for a margarita. Substitute for any other flavor of moonshine you prefer.
- Triple Sec – This liquor enhances the citrus flavors of the margarita because it is made from oranges. Substitute triple sec for Cointreau or any other orange liquor.
- Lime Juice – This citrus flavor is key for any margarita. It gives the cocktail its signature flavor, which should still be present under any additional flavors. It is especially important for a margarita without tequila! The fresh flavor of limes is better than a margarita mix. So skip the mix and keep it fresh!
How to Make a Blackberry Moonshine Margarita
These delicious margaritas with moonshine are a great cocktail for sipping. Whether you’re looking to mix up your cocktail recipes or entertaining guests, this is a tasty drink recipe.
Step 1 – Add moonshine, triple sec, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker
Step 2 – Add a handful of ice cubes to the shaker. Then firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients and chill them.
If you want to serve the margarita over ice, you can combine the ingredients in a mixing glass and stir them instead. A cocktail shaker is only best if you don’t plan on serving a cocktail over ice.
Step 3 – Strain the chilled cocktail into a salt-rimmed margarita glass.
Step 4 – Garnish the cocktail with fresh blueberries and lime wedges on a food pick. Or a slice of lime on the rim of the margarita glass.
What Type of Glass Do I Use?
- Margarita glass – Margarita glasses are an obvious choice for margaritas. They have a stem and a wide mouth. A wide-mouth glass allows the alcohol to “breathe” or disperse more evenly. Hold a margarita glass by the stem so the cocktail doesn’t warm from your hands. Usually, a frozen margarita is served in this type of glass.
- Short tumbler – Not everyone has a set of margarita glasses at home. So a short tumbler is also perfect for a margarita. With this glass, add ice to keep your cocktail cold. Also, the ice dilutes the cocktail a bit. That’s perfect if you don’t like your margaritas as strong. Personally, I prefer margaritas over ice with a straw!
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
How to Salt Rim a Glass
Many margaritas have a salted rim. This is incredibly easy to do and adds a special touch to the cocktail glass.
First, take a lime wedge and run it along the rim of the glass. This creates a wet and sticky surface for the salt to stick to.
Next, flip the glass upside down and place it in a shallow bowl of coarse sea salt. Coarse salt is bigger salt flakes that are more visible. It also has a better flavor. If you make a lot of margaritas, consider buying a salt rimmer.* (Affiliate link)
Can I Make This Margarita in Advance?
Yes! Margaritas are great for making ahead of time! Combine all of the ingredients, without ice, and store in an airtight jar or glass bottle until it is time to serve.
You may store this cocktail in the refrigerator for up to a week. However, the flavor profile may change a bit the longer you store it!
Make Moonshine Margaritas in Bulk!
Since this delicious margarita stores so well, it’s also great for making in bulk. Multiply the ingredients by the number of guests you wish to serve. Then mix all of the ingredients, without ice, in a large pitcher. Store the pitcher in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve!
More Margaritas to Try!
Blackberry Moonshine Margarita
- cocktail shaker
- 2 oz blackberry moonshine
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1 oz lime juice
- Add moonshine, triple sec, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker
- Add a handful of ice cubes to the shaker. Firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients and chill them.
- Strain the chilled cocktail into a salt-rimmed margarita glass.
- Garnish the cocktail with fresh blueberries and lime wedges on a food pick.