These fun Monster Rice Krispie Treats look like little Frankensteins. They are a great treat for a Halloween party or a spooky movie night!
It’s a fact that adorable snacks make a party or holiday more fun! And nothing is cuter than these Monster Rice Krispies Treats! From the candy eyeballs to the fun color, these are the perfect fun Halloween treats for any Spooky Season celebration! They only require five ingredients and less than 30 minutes of active cooking time!
Whether you want to make a festive Halloween treat for a party, after-school treat, or Halloween movie night, these Frankenstein Rice Krispies are the perfect fun treats.
Ingredients for Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- Marshmallows – Use larger or mini marshmallows and melt them in a pan with butter to create a gooey marshmallow sauce.
- Rice Krispies Cereal – You can’t have Rice Krispies Treats without a crispy rice cereal. But you don’t have to use the brand name, any crispy rice cereal works great!
- Green Candy Melts – The baking aisle of most craft of hobby stores carries an assortment of colorful candy melts. A true green is the best color for these Frankenstein cereal treats. You can also color melted white chocolate with green food coloring. But the candy melts are much easier!
- Black Frosting – Grocery stores carry tubes of black icing for decorating cakes and cookies. This is the easiest way to add hair to your monsters. Alternatively, you could dye regular frosting black.
- Candy Eye Sprinkles – The eyes are what make these little monsters so cute!
How to Make Monster Rice Krispie Treats
These Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats are a fun twist on regular rice krispies for Halloween parties. They require a little extra work, but not too much!
You can make Rice Krispie treats in the microwave or on the stove. I prefer the stove because the hot pan and burner help the melted marshmallows stay warm. This makes it easier to stir the treats so the cereal is evenly coated in melted marshmallow sauce.
Step 1 – In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir. Regularly stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted.
Step 2 – Next, add the Rice Krispies cereal and stir until all of the cereal is coated in melted marshmallows.
Line Your Pan for Easy Cutting
Step 3 – Lightly spray an 9 x 9 inch pan with nonstick spray. I like to use coconut oil, but whatever you prefer is fine. Then, cut two pieces of parchment paper into 10 x 13 inch strips. Lay one piece of parchment paper inside the baking pan horizontally. Then lay the other vertically. The parchment paper should form a cross shape and cover all four sides of the pan.
Step 4 – Pour the warm marshmallow and cereal mixture into the lined baking pan. Then use a flat silicone spatula to press the the mixture into an even layer along the bottom of the pan. Let the Rice Krispies treats cool completely before cutting.
Step 5 – Once the treats are cool, remove them from the baking pan. Use the parchment paper lining to easily lift the treats out of the pan. Trim the sides of the large treat to remove the rounded corners from the baking pan.
Step 6 – Then cut the rectangle in half horizontally. This forms two 4.5 inch tall rectangles.
Step 7 – Cut four 2 inch wide rectangles from the two 4.5 inch tall rectangles. Discard, aka eat, any leftovers! 😉 The result is 8 rectangular Rice Krispies treats!
Dip the Treats to Make the Monsters
Step 8 – Using the microwave, or a double boiler on the stove, melt the green candy melts according to the directions on the package. Remember, low and slow is best for melting candy so it doesn’t seize and turn hard and grainy.
Step 9 – Dip the rice crispy rectangles into the melted green candy. Submerge the treats about 2 inches deep, aka half way.
Step 10 – Place the monster treats to cool on a sheet of parchment paper.
Step 11 – Place the candy eye sprinkles into the warm candy. Once they are cool the candy will harden into a shell and hold the eyes in place.
Step 12 – Fill a small bowl halfway with black frosting. Dip just the tops of the rice krispies monsters into the black frosting to make the monsters’ hair. Allow the frosting to set.
Serve these fun rice krispies Frankensteins alongside a bowl of popcorn for a fun Halloween movie night treat! Or take them to a Halloween party!
Here are a few Not-So-Spooky Halloween movie recommendations!
Fun Alternative Monster Rice Krispies Treats Colors and Ideas
If you don’t want to make Frankenstein Monster Rice Krispie Treats, use different colors of candy melts and frosting to make your own monsters!
- Purple Multi-eyed Monsters – Substitute purple candy melts for green! After dipping the marshmallow treats in the purple candy, secure multiple candy eyes in various sizes to the melted candy coating. Scatter the eyes randomly. Or arrange them in a neat row.
- White Mummy Rice Krispie Treats – Dip the treats in white melted candy, then secure two candy eyes. Use a spoon and drizzle melted white candy coating in a zig-zag motion over the top of the marshmallow treats to create a mummy wrapping.
- Orange Jack-O-Lantern Treats – Use orange candy melts for these pumpkin rice krispie treats! And instead of using candy eyes, use black icing to draw a Jack-O-Lantern face on each treat. A pastry bag with a fine-point tip or a prepackaged tube of cookie icing works well for drawing on desserts.
They can be! Rice Krispies themselves are not gluten-free, but there are other brands of crispy rice cereal that are! And there are gluten-free marshmallows as well. For example, Good&Gather marshmallows at Target are gluten-free.
The trickier part is finding gluten-free melting chocolate. You will need a gluten-free white chocolate, Lily’s Sweets is a gluten-free brand, and gluten-free food coloring. Watkins is a gluten-free food coloring brand at Target. Dye the melted white chocolate your desired shade of green, then dip the gluten-free rice treats into the melted chocolate. Use the melted white chocolate to create the eyes as well!
Store these monster marshmallow treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Separate the layers of treats in the container using small sheets of parchment paper. This keeps them from sticking together.
The treats may go stale sooner or later depending on how often the container is opened!
Save yourself time, and avoid more dirty dishes, and use store-bought Rice Krispies Treats! Remove the treats from the wrappers and dip them in the melted candy. Follow Steps 8-12 above to create your Monster Crispy Treats the easy way!
These festive Halloween Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect treat to get everyone in the Halloween spirit! They are easy, fun, and festive!
More Fun Halloween Treat Ideas
Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 5 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 cup Green Candy Melts
- 1/2 cup Black Frosting
- 16 Candy Eye Sprinkles
- In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir.
- Regularly stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal and stir until all of the cereal is coated in melted marshmallows.
- Lightly spray an 9 x 9 inch pan with nonstick spray and line it with parchment paper.
- Pour the warm marshmallow and cereal mixture into the lined baking pan. Use a flat silicone spatula to press the mixture into an even layer along the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the treats to cool completely, about 1-2 hours.
- Remove the treats from the baking pan. Trim the sides of the large treat to remove the rounded corners from the baking pan.
- Cut the square in half horizontally. This forms two 4.5-inch tall rectangles.
- Cut four 2-inch wide rectangles from the two 4.5-inch tall rectangles to form 8 rectangular treats.
- Melt the green candy melts according to the directions on the package.
- Dip the rectangles into the melted green candy. Submerge the treats about 2 inches deep.
- Place the monster treats to cool on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Place the candy eye sprinkles into the warm candy.
- Allow the candy to set for about 1 hour.
- Fill a small bowl halfway with black frosting.
- Dip just the tops of the rice krispies monsters into the black frosting to make the monsters' hair. Allow the frosting to set before serving.