A copycat recipe for the Jedi Mind Trick drink from Oga’s Cantina at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge at Disney. A Grapefruit and Rose vodka cocktail.
Nothing beats walking around Batuu at Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, then enjoying a cocktail at Oga’s Cantina. Unfortunately, I don’t live near Disney! So I decided to recreate the magic of some of my favorite treats from Galaxy’s Edge at home.
This is a copycat recipe for the Jedi Mind Trick drink. The Jedi Mind Trick is made with Ketel One Botanical Grapefruit and Rose vodka, grape juice, and Velvet Falernum. It has a strong botanical flavor with a touch of sweetness. It also contains a bit of Blue Curacao to give it that glowing lightsaber look.
Why Is The Drink Called a Jedi Mind Trick?
The Jedi are the lightsaber-wielding “good guys” of the Star Wars Universe. They use the Force to move objects, launch themselves into the air, and even change the minds of others. Jedi may use the Force to implant suggestions into others’ minds. This is known as a Jedi Mind Trick. This botanical vodka cocktail has a blue hue and looks like the lightsaber of a Jedi too.
It costs less than $20 at Oga’s Cantina. The liquors for this cocktail are on the pricey side for making it at home. But you certainly can make more for less in the long run.
What Is In The Jedi Mind Trick Drink?
According to the Oga’s Cantina menu, the Jedi Mind Trick contains Ketel One Botanical Grapefruit and Rose vodka, Velvet Falernum, blue curacao, white grape juice, lime juice, and grapefruit bitters. For this copycat recipe, you need:
- Ketel One Botanical Grapefruit and Rose vodka – There isn’t a great substitute for this botanical vodka. It is the only blend of grapefruit and rose vodka available. So this is necessary for the cocktail.
- Velvet Falernum – The flavor complexity of this syrup liquor makes it crucial to the cocktail. In a pinch, you could sub orgeat syrup. Just be sure the syrup is clear to avoid distorting the cocktail’s color!
- White Grape juice – White grape juice is a clear and sweet juice. It adds some sweetness to the cocktail. But it doesn’t have a strong flavor. It hides behind the strong botanicals.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice is best for cocktails. The flavor is brighter on the palette. However, bottled juice works fine too.
- Blue Curacao – The point of this liquor is to give the cocktail a bright blue color. The drink contains a splash of this liquor.
- Angostura bitters – If you make cocktails regularly at home, then you probably have angostura bitters on hand. The bitters help balance the flavor of the cocktail. And they cut the sweetness a bit. I could not find grapefruit bitters in stores. It was available on Amazon. But I opted to use Angostura since it is a more common cocktail ingredient.
How to Make a Jedi Mind Trick Drink
This cocktail is the perfect drink for May the 4th or a Star Wars movie night! To start, fill a martini or coupe glass about three-quarters full with crushed or pebble ice. In Oga’s Cantina, they use a stemless martini glass.
You could also use a fun Star Wars glass! I’ve linked a few options below. Set the glass aside.
Add 1 1/2 ounces of Ketel One Botanicals Grapefruit and Rose vodka to a cocktail shaker. Then add 1 ounce of white grape juice, 1 ounce of Velvet Falernum, a splash of Blue Curacao, and three-quarters of an ounce of lime juice.
What is Velvet Falernum?
According to the Oga’s Cantina menu, the original Yub Nub drink contains Velvet Falernum. Falernum is either a syrup liquor or an alcohol-free syrup. The brand of Velvet Falernum on the Oga’s menu is alcoholic. Velvet Falernum is made with lime, almond, and cloves. This gives it a rich, spicy flavor.
This is a specialty liquor, so it isn’t always on hand at alcohol stores. If you can’t find Velvet Falernum, Orgeat syrup is a decent substitute. It is also an almond-based syrup. However, it has more of a citrus flavor. So it will change the flavor of the cocktail. And be sure the syrup is clear! Otherwise, it will interfere with the blue color of the Jedi Mind Trick Cocktail!
Use a citrus juicer to juice the fresh lime to retrieve as much juice as possible. Typically, half of a large lime contains about three-quarters of an ounce of juice.
Finally, add a single dash of angostura bitters. The bitters balance the flavors of the cocktail and cut the sweetness a bit. If you use grapefruit bitters, that’s even better!
Add ice to the cocktail shaker, then shake to combine the ingredients. Pour the cocktail using a strainer.
This gorgeous blue cocktail is not typically served with a garnish. It looks like a glowing lightsaber all on its own.
Shop this Post
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
More Fun Star Wars Snacks and Drinks
- Yub Nub Copycat Cocktail
- Star Wars Snack Board (Includes):
- Chewbacca Cookies
- Lightsaber Pretzels
- Pigs in a Blanket X-Wings
Jedi Mind Trick Drink
- cocktail shaker
- citrus juicer
- 1 1/2 oz Ketel One Botanicals Grapefruit and Rose vodka
- 1 oz grape juice
- 1 oz Velvet Falernum
- 1 Splash Blue Curacao
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Fill a martini glass about three-quarters with crushed ice. Set aside.
- Add Ketel One Botanicals Grapefruit and Rose vodka, white grape juice, Velvet Falernum, Blue Curacao, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add a single dash of Angostura bitters.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker and shake to combine.
- Strain into the martini glass of crushed ice.