A Greyhound cocktail is a simple gin and juice drink served over ice. Make it with grapefruit juice, gin, syrup, and a splash of lemon juice.
The Greyhound cocktail is a perfect combination of citrus, earthy, and sweet. Its delicious flavor is refreshing. That makes it perfect for sipping on a warm day.
If you love grapefruit in cocktails, then you need to try a Greyhound.
What Is a Greyhound Cocktail?
The Greyhound is a simple gin and juice cocktail. Yep, like the Snoop Dogg song. It combines grapefruit juice, gin, and simple syrup to create a refreshing citrus cocktail. It’s the perfect warm weather sipping drink.
If you add a salted rim to the glass, then a Greyhound becomes a Salty Dog. Both versions of the cocktail are delicious.
If you prefer vodka cocktails, you will love this Grapefruit Martini. It’s a delicious botanical and citrus martini.
Ingredients Needed to Make a Greyhound Cocktail
- Grapefruit Juice: The most important component of this cocktail is the grapefruit juice. I prefer bottled juice because it is already sweetened and less bitter. But freshly squeezed grapefruit also works.
- Gin: This botanical liquor has the perfect complementary taste for grapefruit juice. If you don’t care for gin, consider replacing it with vodka.
- Simple Syrup: Even though bottled grapefruit juice is presweetened, this cocktail needs another little touch of syrup. It makes the cocktail more sippable.
- Lemon: Squeeze a small wedge of lemon into this cocktail when serving. The fresh lemon juice adds a brightness that completely changes the flavor. It takes the drink from good to great.
What Food Pairs Well This Cocktail?
This drink is slightly tart and slightly sweet, so it pairs well with a variety of foods. Especially lighter fare, like seafood, chicken, or salads. Consider pairing the cocktail with a cold dip on a warm day for the perfect refreshing pairing.
How to Make a Greyhound Cocktail
First, fill a highball glass about halfway to three-quarters with crushed ice. Then add the grapefruit juice, gin, and simple syrup. Squeeze a wedge of lemon over the top of the cocktail. Then stir using a straw or cocktail stirrer.
Garnish the cocktail with a round slice of grapefruit and one of lemon. Enjoy with a straw or sip from the glass.
What Type of Glass Do I Use?
- Highball Glass: A Greyhound is typically served in a highball glass. These glasses are used for cocktails that contain a large amount of non-alcoholic mixer and are served over ice.
- Collins Glass: These glasses are similar to a highball glass, but are taller and more narrow. Usually, a Collins glass is used for drinks with more than one mixer that is served over ice.
- Something Fun: This cocktail is a great time to use a fun glass! Any tall, narrow glass will do! Use something with a fun design or pattern.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
Can I Make This Cocktail In Advance?
Yes! This cocktail is perfect for making in advance. Simply combine the ingredients, minus the lemon juice, and store them in an airtight glass jar or bottle. Serve over ice when ready. Add the lemon juice right before serving for the freshest flavor.
Store Greyhound cocktails for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Make Greyhound Cocktails In Bulk!
Since these cocktails store so well, they are also perfect for making in bulk. Multiply the ingredients by the number of guests you wish to serve. Then combine the ingredients in a large pitcher. Store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Pour the cocktails over ice and add the squeeze of fresh lemon just before serving.
More Cocktail Recipes to Try
- 3 oz grapefruit juice
- 2 oz gin
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- Fill a highball or tumbler glass 3/4s with ice.
- Pour the grapefruit juice, gin, simple syrup, and lemon juice into the glass.
- Stir with a cocktail spoon or straw.
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit and lemon in the glass.