A grapefruit shandy is a cocktail that combines grapefruit juice and beer. This summer drink is both refreshing and delicious!
Looking for a light and refreshing summer cocktail? This grapefruit shandy recipe is the perfect drink for warmer weather. It combines the pleasantly sweet-tart flavor of ripe grapefruit with that of a traditional wheat beer.
What is a Shandy?
A shandy is a cocktail made with fruit juice and beer. They originated in Europe, but are popular in the US as well. A classic shandy contains lager beer and lemonade, lemon-lime soda, or ginger ale. That recipe has expanded to other fruit juices, like grapefruit and passion fruit. Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is one of the most well-known brands of citrus juice shandy in the United States.
Grapefruit Shandy Ingredients
- Grapefruit Juice – Use either fresh grapefruit juice or bottled for this cocktail. The sweet and mildly bitter citrus flavor is perfect for mixing with beer. A grapefruit soda would also work well.
- Light Lager Beer – A light lager is best for a shandy. They are light in color and flavor.
- Simple Syrup (Optional) – If you prefer drinks that are a tad sweeter, consider adding a teaspoon of simple syrup. It adds just a touch more sweetness to the cocktail.
What Type of Beer is Best in a Shandy?
A traditional shandy contains either Pilsner or light Lager beers. These beers are light and heavily carbonated. They complement fruit juice without overwhelming the flavor. Examples of great pilsners for a shandy include Modelo, Yuengling Golden Pilsner, and Miller Lite.
However, hefeweizen beers are also excellent in a summer shandy. Hefeweizen is an unfiltered German wheat beer with a bitter flavor. A grapefruit and hefeweizen shandy is one of the most popular drinks in the Germany pavilion at EPCOT in Walt Disney World Resort. The exact brand of grapefruit beer they serve is Schofferhofer. It is available at many wine and beer retailers. And it comes in a variety of flavors, like passionfruit, pineapple, and pomegranate.
How to Make a Grapefruit Shandy
This citrusy beer cocktail is a simple mixture. It only needs two ingredients and doesn’t require any cocktail equipment.
Step 1: Pour 6 ounces of cold beer into a chilled beer glass. A chilled glass keeps the drink cold for a longer period of time. This cocktail tastes best very cold.
Step 2: Add 5 ounces of grapefruit juice to the glass. Either fresh juice or bottled juice works for this drink. If you use bottled juice make sure it is cold!
Step 3: If you want a little extra sweetness in your cocktail, add a teaspoon of simple syrup! You probably won’t need a sweetener if you use bottled juice.
Step 4: Gently stir the cocktail to combine the ingredients.
Step 5: Garnish with grapefruit slices or a slice of lemon. Allow the garnish to float on top of your beverage.
Can I Make This Cocktail in Bulk?
Grapefruit shandies are the perfect summer party cocktail! Combining the ingredients in a large pitcher is a great way to serve a crowd. Multiply the recipe by the number of guests to determine how much juice and beer you need. Keep the pitcher in the refrigerator or on ice so the cocktail stays cold! A cold shandy is the best shandy!
More Summer Cocktail Ideas
- chilled beer glass
- 6 oz lager beer
- 5 oz grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp simple syrup optional
- Pour 6 ounces of cold beer into a chilled beer glass.
- Add 5 ounces of grapefruit juice to the glass.
- For additional sweetness, add a teaspoon of simple syrup.
- Gently stir the cocktail to combine the ingredients.
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit or lemon.