This frozen mudslide recipe is the perfect cocktail if you like boozy milkshakes and whiskey! It’s a fun spin on a classic mudslide.
Frozen cocktails are a fun indulgence. Whether you make them to help you cool off on a hot day, or for a sweet treat, they are refreshing and delicious! A frozen Mudslide is a delicious treat. Especially if you like boozy milkshakes.
This fun spin on a classic mudslide is made with ice cream and whiskey instead of vodka. Plus, it requires a good blender. The whiskey adds a stronger flavor. It’s great for an evening treat or a hot day.
What is a Mudslide?
A Mudslide is a vodka-based cocktail made with vodka, Kahlua (coffee liquor), Bailey’s (Irish cream liquor), and heavy cream. The ingredients are added to a cocktail shaker and shaken until cold. Then poured into a cocktail glass and topped with chocolate shavings. It is a variation of a White Russian.
A frozen Mudslide is made with vanilla ice cream instead of heavy cream. And it is blended in a blender with ice. It’s more of a milkshake consistency than the original cocktail recipe.
What’s In a Frozen Mudslide?
- Kahlua (or any other coffee liquor) – Coffee liquors are made with rum, sugar, and coffee. They don’t contain cream! If you are sensitive to caffeine, don’t try this recipe in the evening. It contains a small amount of caffeine from the coffee.
- Bailey’s (or other Irish cream liquor) – Bailey’s is the most well-known Irish cream liquor. It contains Irish whiskey and cream.
- Irish Whiskey – This Mudslide recipe uses Irish whiskey instead of vodka. Popular Irish whiskey brands are Jameson and Bushmills. The whiskey gives this cocktail a more boozy flavor. And it compliments the Irish cream liquor.
- Vanilla ice cream – For this frozen cocktail recipe, use vanilla ice cream instead of cream! It adds a more rich flavor to the cocktail. And creates a thicker consistency.
- Ice – Add a few ice cubes to the blender. This ensures a thick milkshake consistency.
- Chocolate syrup – This step is optional. But a lovely chocolate rim, or chocolate on the inside of the cocktail glass, looks pretty. And chocolate is delicious. I added some to my mudslide too.
How to Make a Frozen Mudslide
You need a few key kitchen gadgets and appliances to create a frozen mudslide. The most important is a blender. Obviously, to make more cocktails, you need a large blender. I typically use a small 20 oz blender cup for single-serving frozen cocktails. I also recommend using an ice cream scoop. It helps keep scoop sizes more uniform.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
For a small frozen Mudslide, add 4-5 scoops of ice cream to a blender. Then add the Irish whiskey, Bailey’s, Kahlua, and a small handful of ice. Blend the drink until it reaches a creamy milkshake consistency. Pour into a tall glass, or a Hurricane cocktail glass, with a chocolate rim. Add chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, or marshmallows to the top. Then add a straw and enjoy!
How to Decorate a Glass With Chocolate Syrup
Many frozen Mudslides are served in glasses with chocolate rims. Or chocolate on the sides of the glass. They add a little bit of chocolate flavor to the cocktail. But mostly they are for decorative purposes.
For a chocolate rim, pour chocolate sauce into a small, shallow bowl that is slightly larger than the rim of the glass. Then, dip the glass upside down into the chocolate sauce. Twist or turn the glass a few times to ensure even coverage.
For chocolate sides, use a bottle filled with chocolate sauce. It can be a store-bought squeeze bottle from the grocery store. Or chocolate sauce poured into a small condiment squeeze bottle. Hold the glass at an angle. Then, rotate it in your hand. Use your other hand to slowly squeeze a thin stream of chocolate onto the sides of the glass. Move the chocolate bottle side to side or up and down as you rotate the glass. How you move the chocolate bottle determines the direction of the chocolate sauce design on the sides of the glass.
Make the cocktail glass more festive by dipping the chocolate rim in a small bowl of sprinkles. Any type of sprinkles works! Try green or shamrock-shaped sprinkles for St. Patrick’s Day. Pink or red for Valentine’s Day. Red, white, and blue for the Fourth of July. Or red and green for Christmas.
Try Different Frozen Mudslide Flavor Combinations
This recipe calls for vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. The result is a basic frozen Mudslide. Use different ice cream flavors, or different sauces, to create unique versions of the cocktail.
- Coffee ice cream and chocolate sauce
- Chocolate ice cream and caramel sauce – Dip the caramel rim in large flakey salt for a salted caramel flavor.
- Chocolate ice cream and peanut butter sauce – Garnish with a few crushed peanut butter cups for good measure!
- Strawberry ice cream and strawberry sauce – This is a beautiful option for Valentine’s Day.
Can I Make This Cocktail Ahead of Time?
Unfortunately, this cocktail cannot be made ahead of time. Either the ice cream melts or it becomes too thick in the freezer.
However, you can absolutely decorate the glasses ahead of time. Add the chocolate rim and drizzle to the glasses. Then store them in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve the cocktails. This prep saves you time while serving the frozen cocktails. And still ensures the cocktail has the correct consistency.
More Frozen Cocktail Recipes
- 1 Blender
- 1 ice cream scoop
- 4-5 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 oz Irish whiskey
- 2 oz Baily's Irish cream liquor
- 2 oz Kahlua coffee liquor
- chocolate sauce
- small handful of ice
- Add 4-5 scoops of ice cream to a blender.
- Add 2 oz Irish whiskey, 2 oz Bailey's Irish cream liquor, 2 oz Kahlua coffee liquor, and a small handful of ice.
- Blend until the cocktail reaches a creamy milkshake consistency.
- Pour into a tall glass, or a Hurricane cocktail glass, with a chocolate rim.
- Top with chocolate shavings, chocolate, chips, or marshmallows.
- Drink using a straw.