Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels are the perfect party or tailgate appetizer. Everyone will love these bite-sized buffalo chicken tortilla wraps.
Buffalo Chicken is one of the most popular appetizers for parties or tailgating. But sometimes keeping buffalo chicken dishes warm is a bit of a hassle. These fun little Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels are a cold appetizer! They are easy to make in advance, don’t need to be warmed up, and don’t take long to put together. And they only require a few simple ingredients.
These delicious Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels are the perfect appetizer for a game day party during football season or your next gathering with friends.
You have to try my recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip using Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Sauce!
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Canned Chicken – For dips and quick appetizers, canned chicken is an easy way to add chicken to the dish. The tender chicken is easy to break apart and doesn’t require any prep time. Shredded chicken is another great option if you have it available to you.
- Cream Cheese – This gives the buffalo chicken filling a creamy texture and tangy flavor. Let the cream cheese soften at room temperature before making this filling. Prewhipped cream cheese is also a great option to save time.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Take the time to shred a block of cheddar cheese! It tastes better, has a softer consistency, and is incorporated into the filling better.
- Buffalo Sauce – You can’t have buffalo chicken without buffalo sauce! Use your favorite brand of spicy buffalo sauce. I use Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce.
- Ranch Dressing – Creamy ranch dressing adds more flavor to buffalo dips! It helps calm the spiciness of the buffalo sauce and makes it even creamier.
- Green Onions – Chopped green onions add a little crunch and a delicious flavor to the buffalo chicken pinwheels.
- Large Flour Tortillas – The large tortillas work best for this appetizer recipe.
Equipment Needed for Buffalo Pinwheels
- Plastic Wrap – The plastic wrap is key for holding the pinwheels together while they chill in the refrigerator.
- Mixer – Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to combine the buffalo chicken filling ingredients.
- Silicone Spatula – Use a non-stick spatula to spread the chicken filling on the flour tortillas.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
These Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels are the perfect finger food. They are creamy with a little kick from the hot sauce. It’s a simple recipe with a delicious result.
Step One – In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, Ranch dressing, and buffalo sauce. Thoroughly combine the ingredients using a spatula or mixer.
Step Two – Then, cut a large, 13″x13″, square of plastic wrap and spread it on the counter. Lay a flour tortilla on the plastic wrap.
Step Three – Next, spread the buffalo chicken mixture in a thin even layer over the surface of the flour tortilla.
Step Four – Tightly roll up the tortilla. Be careful not to squeeze out the buffalo chicken filling!
Step Five – Then, roll the tortilla wrap in the plastic wrap. Tuck the ends of the plastic wrap. Place the rolled tortillas in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill.
Step Six – After 30 minutes, unwrap the plastic from the tortilla. Cut the ends of the wrap off. Then cut the wrap into 2 to 3-inch pinwheels.
Step Seven – Arrange the pinwheels on a serving platter and sprinkle with green onions. Serve with a side of celery sticks, extra buffalo sauce, and Ranch for dipping.
Can I Make This Appetizer in Advance?
Yes! These pinwheels are a great dish to prepare in advance. I recommend leaving them wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Then remove the plastic and cut them closer to the serving time. You can store these for 48 hours before serving.
How to Store Leftover Pinwheels
Store all leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Don’t store for more the 48 hours.
Yes, shredded chicken is a great alternative to canned chicken. Especially, if you have leftover chicken already! Leftover diced white chicken breasts is also a great alternative!
If you prefer blue cheese, then definitely use it! I’m not a blue cheese fan, so I prefer Ranch. You could also add blue cheese crumbles to the filling.
The “laziest” way to make this recipe is to use a store-bought buffalo chicken dip as the filling instead of making your own. It will cut the prep time in half.
Absolutely! Make it vegetarian by leaving out the chicken or using buffalo hummus! This Vegetarian Buffalo Dip is a great recipe using chickpeas.
This Buffalo Chicken Pinwheel recipe is the perfect party appetizer! It’s full of spicy buffalo flavor and is easy to make. Try this easy appetizer at your next party!
More Delicious Buffalo Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Dip without Cream Cheese
- Loaded Buffalo Ranch Fries
- Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza Rolls
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- plastic wrap
- 1 mixer
- silicone spatula
- 2 cups canned chicken
- 8 oz whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing
- 1/8 cup green onions chopped
- Combine the chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, Ranch dressing, and buffalo sauce in a large mixing bowl. Use a mixer or silicone spatula.
- Cut a large, 13"x13", square of plastic wrap and spread it on the counter. Lay a flour tortilla on the plastic wrap.
- Spread the buffalo chicken mixture in a thin even layer over the surface of the tortilla.
- Tightly roll up the tortilla. Be careful not to squeeze out the buffalo chicken filling!
- Roll the tortilla wrap in the plastic wrap. Tuck the ends of the plastic wrap.
- Place the rolled tortillas in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- After 30 minutes, unwrap the plastic from the tortilla. Cut the ends of the wrap off.
- Cut the wrap into 2 to 3-inch pinwheels.
- Arrange the pinwheels on a serving platter. Sprinkle with green onions.