This festive Cranberry Cinnamon Whiskey Sour recipe combines tart cranberry juice, warm cinnamon syrup, and whiskey into the perfect cocktail.
Cocktails made with tart cranberry and warm spices are ideal during the holiday season. They make you feel cozy, even if they’re served over ice! This Cranberry Cinnamon Whiskey Sour is the ideal Christmas cocktail because it contains cranberry juice, cinnamon, and smooth whiskey. It is a simple four-ingredient cocktail that your guests will love!
This simple holiday sour recipe is perfect for a large group or a single-serving nightcap during the Christmas season.
What is a Sour?
A sour is a popular cocktail that contains lemon or lime juice, liquor, and a sweetener. The name “sour” comes from the tart lemon juice. Sours are often made with whiskey, gin, or vodka. But any liquor can be used for a sour cocktail. Typically, sours also contain egg white or a foaming alternative. They give the cocktail a white layer of foam on top. I usually skip foam on my sours.
This festive sour recipe uses whiskey as the base spirit. It has a warm flavor that perfectly complements the cinnamon and cranberry. It’s perfect for a holiday cocktail at a Christmas party. Or for curling up on the couch with your favorite Christmas movie!
Ingredients Needed for a Cranberry Cinnamon Whiskey Sour
- Whiskey – This rich and smooth spirit is perfect for a holiday drink. It has notes of vanilla, fruit, and oak which goes well with tart cranberry and warm cinnamon. Use your favorite whiskey or a mid-shelf brand like Wild Turkey or Jameson. I used the more affordable Jack Daniels whiskey in this cocktail.
- Lemon Juice – Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives this cocktail its sour name. It adds acidity and helps balance the flavors of the drink.
- Cranberry Juice – Make a festive cocktail with a little cranberry juice! This sweet, but tart fruit is in season from Fall to early Winter, so the flavor is synonymous with the holiday season.
- Cinnamon Syrup – A cinnamon simple syrup adds a bit of spicy warmth to this cocktail. It pairs perfectly with the cranberry and whiskey.
Homemade Cinnamon Simple Syrup
Simple syrup is one of the best ingredients for adding sweetness to a cocktail. Cinnamon simple syrup adds sweetness and a bold, spicy flavor to Christmas cocktails.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a small saucepan.
- Heat the saucepan on medium-low heat. It does not need to boil!
- Continuously stir the water-sugar mixture until all of the sugar dissolves.
- Pour into a glass jar.
- Add 2 whole cinnamon sticks.
- Allow the syrup to cool in the refrigerator. The cinnamon needs at least 24 hours to infuse the simple syrup with the cinnamon flavor. The longer it soaks, the more flavor it leaves behind. This cinnamon simple syrup should last up to 6 months in the refrigerator!
How to Make a Cranberry Cinnamon Whiskey Sour
This festive cinnamon cranberry cocktail tastes like Christmas spirit! It’s sweet, warm, and rich. Perfect for a Christmas Eve nightcap. Plus, it is a simple recipe to create at home.
Step One – First, add the whiskey, cranberry juice, and cinnamon syrup to a cocktail shaker. Then, add fresh lemon juice. Use a citrus squeezer to extract the juice.
Step Two – Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Firmly place the lid on the shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine and chill the ingredients.
Step Three – Strain the cocktail over ice and garnish with fresh cranberries and a cinnamon stick.
What Type of Glass Do I Use?
- Lowball or Old Fashioned Glass – These glasses, also called rocks glasses, are short and sturdy. They have a wide mouth that lets the drinker inhale the smells of the spirits as they drink. They are perfect for whiskey and bourbon cocktails.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
Can I Make This Festive Whiskey Cocktail Ahead of Time?
Yes! Combine all of the ingredients in a jar or airtight container. Store the cocktail in the refrigerator without ice for up to 24 hours. Shake, or stir, the cocktail before serving. Serve over ice and garnish as usual.
Serve a Crowd Cranberry Cinnamon Whiskey Sours
Make a large batch of this festive cocktail to serve at a holiday party. Multiply the ingredients by the number of guests you wish to serve. Combine them in a large pitcher and store the cocktail in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. When serving, pour the cocktail over ice and garnish.
More Delicious Holiday Cocktails with Cranberry
Cranberry Cinnamon Whiskey Sour
- cocktail shaker
- 2 oz whiskey
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- 1/2 oz cinnamon simple syrup
- Pour the whiskey, cranberry juice, lemon juice, and cinnamon syrup to a cocktail shaker.
- Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Firmly place the lid on the shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine and chill the ingredients.
- Strain the cocktail over ice.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries and a cinnamon stick.