Cowboy Crack Dip is a creamy, spicy, and meaty dip. It contains chorizo, beans, cheese, and spicy tomatoes. It will be your new favorite dip!
Nothing beats a creamy and hearty dip that’s full of flavor. They are the best dip for a party because they satisfy hunger. Plus, they’re delicious. And this Cowboy Crack dip is just that kind of dip.
This easy dip recipe is full of chorizo, beans, corn, spicy tomatoes, and cheese. It’s creamy, filling, and delicious. The perfect appetizer for your next party!
What is Cowboy Crack Dip?
Cowboy Crack dip is a hot, cheesy dip made with Rotel tomatoes, beans, and spicy sausage. Its name comes from how addictively delicious the dip is. I don’t love the name, so my family calls it Cowboy Dip. The “cowboy” part comes from the beans and spicy sausage. It’s almost like chili. It’s the best appetizer for a large crowd.
There is another dip called Crack Dip, but it’s a cold dip with Ranch and bacon. The two dips aren’t similar.
If you like this recipe, try this recipe for Texas Caviar, also known as Cowboy Caviar!
Ingredients Needed for This Cowboy Dip
This delicious dip is easily made with a few simple ingredients.
- Spicy Sausage (Chorizo) – Chorizo is a heavily seasoned pork sausage. It is commonly used in Mexican dishes. It’s spicy and full of flavor!
- Rotel Tomatoes – Canned Rotel tomatoes contain diced green chilies and spices. They add a lot of flavor to this party dip.
- Black Beans – Add a hearty flavor to this amazing dip with a can of black beans.
- Canned Corn – Sweet corn adds a touch of sweetness to the dip. You could also use fresh corn if you prefer!
- Cream Cheese – One of the best parts of this dip is how creamy it is! The cream cheese adds both creaminess and a touch of tang. Substitute sour cream for cream cheese if you prefer.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – The shredded cheese also adds a level of creaminess and flavor. You could use a white or yellow cheddar cheese.
- Pepper – Always season dips! Pepper elevates the flavor of this already flavorful appetizer.
- Cilantro (or green onions) – Top the dish with cilantro. If you don’t like cilantro, use sliced green onions!
How to Make Cowboy Crack Dip
The key to this delicious dip recipe is chorizo. Chorizo is a highly seasoned Spanish sausage. It’s packed with bold flavor, so you don’t need to add spices. For this dip, ground chorizo is best. If you can’t find chorizo, substitute it for another hot sausage, ground beef, or ground turkey. But I’d recommend adding cumin, chili powder, or premixed taco seasoning to those meats. This keeps the Spanish flavor profile.
Step 1 – Cook the chorizo in a large skillet until cooked through. Drain excess grease from the pan.
Step 2 – Add 8 ounces of cream cheese. The cream cheese holds the chorizo together. This makes it easier to scoop and gives the dip its creamy texture and flavor.
Step 3 – Stir in a can of Rotel tomatoes. Rotel tomatoes are preseasoned and canned with green chilies. It gives the dip a punch of spicy flavor.
Step 4 – Then add a can of black beans and a can of corn. Stir over medium heat until well combined. Keep in mind this dip is a hot dip. So the beans and corn should be hot.
The black beans in the recipe may be substituted for any bean. I recommend using a bean traditionally found in Southwestern recipes.
- Blackeyed peas
- Pinto beans
- Red beans
- White beans
Step 5 – Once the dip ingredients are cooked through and well combined, add the shredded cheese. Stir over low heat to incorporate the cheese.
Step 6 – After the cheese is completely melted, top the dip with chopped cilantro.
Step 7 – Serve this creamy dip hot in a skillet or transfer it to a large bowl.
This delicious Cowboy corn dip pairs well with tortilla chips or Fritos. Both chips provide a delicious crunch and flavor.
What Makes This Recipe Different Than Others
This Cowboy Crack dip recipe is different than others because it combines chorizo with beans and corn. I love a good hearty dip. Often times dips with just cream cheese and meat are disappointing. The addition of beans, corn, and Rotel improves the overall flavor. There is a little more spice and more heartiness. Plus, the corn adds a touch of sweetness.
If you added a little rice and lettuce, this dip could be a deconstructed burrito! Either way, it definitely won’t leave your guests feeling hungry.
How to Store This Dip
This dip is best served hot, so I recommend serving it right away. If you’re pressed for time and need to make it in advance you can. Just keep in mind the flavors may change when reheated.
Store Cowboy Crack dip in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Leftovers don’t typically keep for longer than 2-3 days.
You may also freeze this dip for up to 3 months. However, freezing food does change the flavor. So keep that in mind! Taste test and add salt, pepper, or other spices accordingly.
Reheat it in a skillet to ensure even heating. And to maintain the texture of the dip. If reheating from frozen, defrost in the microwave before heating in a skillet.
Other Delicious Dip Recipes
Cowboy Crack Dip
- 1/2 lb ground chorizo
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 10 oz Rotel
- 15 oz black beans
- 15 oz corn
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese or blend
- 1/8 cup cilantro
- Cook 1/2 lb of chorizo over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add 8 oz of cream cheese, 10 oz Rotel, 15 oz black beans, and 15 oz of corn to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until cream cheese is melted and beans and corn are thoroughly heated.
- Then stir in 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir over low heat until the cheese is melted and incorporated into the dip.
- Top with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla or corn chips.