Try this delicious recipe for Blue Milk! It’s a refreshing and fruity drink from the Star Wars franchise and Disney theme parks.
One of my happy places is strolling through the streets of Batuu and sipping on Blue Milk. If all of that sounded foreign to you, let me explain! Batuu is the name of the planet that Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge in Walt Disney World is modeled after. They have a plethora of food and drinks inspired by Star Wars. One of those is a refreshing blue beverage called Blue Milk.
The drink actually doesn’t contain any dairy though! It is made with rice milk! It tastes creamy, fruity, and refreshing! It’s the drink for celebrating May the Fourth! Or just for a hot day in general.
What is Blue Milk?
Blue Milk appeared in the first Star Wars movie, Episode IV: A New Hope, in 1977. Luke Skywalker drinks it with his aunt and uncle on Tatooine. It is also called Bantha milk because it comes from Banthas. Since that initial appearance, Blue “Bantha” Milk has appeared in many Star Wars shows, games, and movies.
In 2019, Walt Disney World opened Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. The land is full of Star Wars-themed food and drinks, including a Blue Milk beverage. This fun drink is fruity, sweet, and lactose-free! It is made with coconut milk, rice milk, and various fruit purees and juices.
My family LOVES Blue Milk! We have at least 3 when we visit Galaxy’s Edge at Disney World. So I decided to try to recreate the recipe at home. It’s not exactly like Disney’s drink, but it’s still a delicious and fun treat!
- Rice Milk – It has a very mild taste and consistency. This makes it the perfect base for a drink where you want the fruit flavors to really shine.
- Coconut Milk – I used canned coconut milk, which is thick and creamy. But a coconut milk beverage works just as well!
- Passion Fruit Juice – The rumor is that Disney uses dragon fruit in their Blue Milk. But that’s not something readily available in my local grocery store. Passion fruit is available though. They both have a tropical flavor and it’s a great substitute.
- Pineapple Juice – The pineapple juice gives the drink a bright, tangy flavor. And a little bit goes a long way!
- Lime Juice – The lime juice is the star of the show with this drink. It adds an acidic burst of flavor that is subtle. It brings balance to the flavors.
- Ice – Add a cup or two of ice to the blender to give the drink a thick consistency.
- Blue Food Coloring – Add a few drops of blue food coloring to achieve the signature shade of blue for Blue Milk.
How to Make Blue Milk at Home
This fun Star Wars drink is quick and easy to make. All you need are the ingredients and a blender!
Add the rice milk and coconut milk to a blender. Then add the passion fruit juice, pineapple juice, and lime juice. Add a few drops of blue food coloring. I find that 4-5 drops are best. You need enough blue to overpower the yellow hues of the juices. But not too much that it becomes dark.
Finally, add a cup of ice. Then blend until the drink reaches a smooth consistency. Then pour it into glasses and enjoy!
Can I Make Blue Milk in Advance?
Unfortunately, Blue Milk cannot be prepared in advance. The ingredients will separate as time passes. It’s best to serve these drinks fresh from the blender.
Disney actually uses machines, like an ICEE mixer, to serve Blue and Green Milk. It continually mixes the beverages so they don’t separate. And it keeps them ice cold!
Other Fun Star Wars Drinks and Snacks
- 4 oz rice milk
- 4 oz coconut milk
- 8 oz passion fruit juice
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz lime juice
- 4-5 drops blue food coloring
- 2 cups ice
- In a blender add the rice milk, coconut milk, passion fruit juice, pineapple juice, and lime juice.
- Add 4-5 drops of blue food coloring. Enough to turn the drink a bright blue.
- Add 2 cups of ice to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve in a tall clear glass immediately after blending.