This delicious Blood Orange Martini combines sweet blood orange, with vodka, orange liqueur, and lemon juice to create this easy cocktail.
Martinis are sophisticated-looking cocktails. But despite their appearance, they are incredibly simple to create at home. This delicious blood orange martini recipe combines crisp vodka, triple sec, zesty lemon juice, and fresh blood orange juice to create a sweet and refreshing cocktail. All you need are four simple ingredients and a cocktail shaker to create your own.
These blood-orange martinis have a gorgeous red color. That color, and the word “blood” make this drink a great Halloween cocktail. Or enjoy them during the blood orange season which starts in late fall and runs through the winter.
What Makes This Blood Orange Martini the Best?
This is the BEST Blood Orange Martini because it uses vodka instead of gin like a classic martini. It also utilizes the citrusy sweetness of triple sec instead of dry vermouth. The triple sec complements the blood orange flavor and the vodka doesn’t overpower it. The delicious blood orange juice is the star of this martini. All other ingredients are meant to highlight the vibrant citrus fruit.
Looking for another blood orange cocktail? Try this Blood Orange Margarita recipe.
Ingredients for this Blood Orange Vodka Martini
- Vodka – Vodka is a popular spirit for cocktails because it has a smooth finish, but not much flavor. It adds a bit more alcohol without changing the flavor of the drink. This lets the sweet blood orange shine through in the martini.
- Triple Sec – Since this martini is very citrus-heavy, a sweet citrus liqueur is the perfect addition. Triple Sec is made with oranges, but it doesn’t have a heavy flavor.
- Lemon Juice – Add some brightness and acidity to this delicious drink with fresh lemon juice. Fresh lime juice is a great substitute if needed.
- Blood Orange Juice – Unlike Naval oranges or other citrus, blood oranges are less acidic and sweeter. They have gorgeous blood-red flesh inside which creates a beautiful juice. Use bottled blood orange juice, or fresh juice. Whichever is easiest and most readily available to you.
How to Make a Blood Orange Martini
These beautiful blood orange martinis are the perfect cocktail for the holiday season, from Halloween to New Year’s. Enjoy this cocktail as part of an at-home happy hour, girls’ night, or holiday party.
Step 1 – In a martini shaker, combine vodka, triple sec, lemon juice, and blood orange juice.
Step 2 – Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Then firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients and chill them.
Step 3 – Strain the cocktail into a chilled martini glass or coupe glass.
Garnish the cocktail with a blood orange slice, dried orange, or a twist of orange peel.
What Type of Glass Do I Use?
- Martini glass – Martini glasses have a large bowl. This allows the cocktail to “breathe.” A cocktail breathing means that the alcohol is dispersed more evenly in the cocktail. The stem is important because it allows the martini to stay cold. It would warm quickly if you touched the glass since it doesn’t contain ice.
- Coupe glass – Coupe glasses are similar to martini glasses. They have a large mouth and a stem. The large mouth of the glass allows you to take in the scents of the cocktail as you drink. Smelling a cocktail as you drink it changes the flavor profile.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
Can I Make a Large Batch of Blood Orange Martinis?
Martinis are an excellent cocktail to make in advance. Multiply the cocktail ingredients listed below by the number of guests you’re serving. Place the large batch of blood orange martinis in the refrigerator to chill the cocktail until it’s time to serve.
How to Store This Cocktail
If you’re storing this cocktail for more than a few hours, pour it into a jar or airtight container. Store that container in the refrigerator for several days. The cocktail will keep for up to a week. Shake or stir to recombine ingredients before serving.
This is the best Blood Orange Martini recipe because the vodka and triple sec complement the delicious blood orange. Plus, the drink’s gorgeous color makes it a beautiful cocktail for entertaining.
More Delicious Martini Recipes
Blood Orange Martini
- cocktail shaker
- 3 oz vodka
- 1 oz triple sec
- 3/4 oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz blood orange juice
- Combine vodka, triple sec, lemon juice, and blood orange juice in a cocktail shaker.
- Add a handful of ice to the shaker. Firmly place the lid on the cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds to combine the cocktail ingredients and chill them.
- Strain the cocktail into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with a blood orange slice, dried orange, or twist of orange peel.