The Black Magic Margarita is a frozen blackberry and currant margarita that was available for a limited time at EPCOT in Walt Disney World.
Have you ever had a delicious cocktail or snack at one of the Disney Parks, only to discover it was a limited-time offering and you’ll never see it again? That is the Black Magic Margarita! This delicious frozen mezcal cocktail was part of a seasonal menu in 2019 and 2021 but it hasn’t been available since then. Until now!
Learn how to make your own Black Magic margarita at home with a few simple ingredients, a special liqueur, and a blender! This frozen margarita is great for entertaining on a hot summer day. Or make a batch for a Halloween party! The dark color looks a bit like blood, and the name is Black Magic. Perfect for Spooky Season!
*This post contains affiliate links. I earn a commission when you shop these links.*
What is a Black Magic Margarita?
The Black Magic margarita is a blackberry, black currant, and mint frozen margarita. It was a special cocktail available in EPCOT at Walt Disney World. The Disney version of the margarita contains mezcal instead of tequila. Mezcal is also made from agave and has a bold smoky flavor. It also contains Creme de Cassis, a black currant liqueur instead of the typical orange liqueur found in margaritas.
The recipe was created by Neil Patrick Harris (NPH) in 2019. It was part of a collaboration with NPH to celebrate his children’s book series, The Magic Misfits*. Random guests who purchased the cocktail received copies of his book or a specialty card deck!
Can I Still Find the Cocktail at EPCOT?
Unfortunately, the Black Magic margarita is no longer available to purchase at Walt Disney World. But it has been available twice! So there is always hope it may return!
When the margarita was first released in 2019 it was available at La Cava del Tequila inside the pyramid at the Mexico pavilion on the World Showcase in EPCOT. Then, in 2021, it was available again at Choza de Margarita. Choza de Margarita is an outdoor margarita bar. It is located outside of the Mexico Pavilion Pyramid. They rotate seasonal margaritas here, so maybe the Black Magic marg will return!
Until then, enjoy this special Disney margarita at home! This copycat recipe uses mostly simple ingredients to recreate this delicious frozen cocktail.
Ingredients for a Black Magic Margarita
- Tequila – The original recipe calls for mezcal, but I used tequila. I made this switch because I always have tequila on hand for margaritas. And I find good tequila more affordable than good mezcal. However, if you want to make a more accurate version of this margarita feel free to use mezcal instead!
- Creme de Cassis Liqueur – Creme de Cassis is a dark, sweet French liqueur. It is made with black currants. This bold, fruit liqueur takes this cocktail to the next level! You may need to special order it from your local spirits store, but it’s worth it!
- Lime Juice – No margarita is complete without a bit of fresh lime juice. It adds a distinct margarita flavor and a bit of bright, citrus to the drink.
- Syrup – Blackberries are a tad tart, so a splash of simple syrup adds a little additional sweetness to the cocktail.
- Frozen Blackberries – Since this is a frozen margarita I opted to use frozen fruit. But you can use fresh blackberries if you prefer.
- Mint Leaves – The mint leaves add another level of flavor to this margarita. The hint of mint sits on the back of your tongue after each sip. It’s refreshing and delicious.
- Ice – Add a handful or two of ice to give this cocktail its thick, slushie consistency.
How to Make a Black Magic Margarita
This delicious Black Magic cocktail will impress guests with its complex flavors and unique liqueur, but it is simple to create at home. Perfect for a gathering at home or a casual movie night!
Step 1 – Add tequila, Creme de Cassis, lime juice, syrup, 2-3 mint leaves, and 2 cups of frozen blackberries to a blender.
Step 2 – Add a handful of ice cubes to the blender. Then firmly place the lid on the blender. Blend until the cocktail reaches the consistency of a slushie. Add more ice as needed.
Step 3 – Pour the frozen cocktail into a glass and enjoy!
*Optional* – This cocktail is pretty by itself, so it doesn’t need a garnish. However, you may add a slice of lime or a few blackberries to garnish.
What Type of Glass Do I Use?
- Margarita glass – Margarita glasses are ideal for frozen margaritas. They have a stem and a wide mouth. The stem allows you to hold the cocktail without it melting from the warmth of your hands.
- Short tumbler – Not everyone has a set of margarita glasses at home. So a short tumbler is also great for a margarita.
Shop This Post
These are affiliate links. I earn a small commission from affiliate links that go towards supporting this blog. Thank you!
Can I Make This Margarita in Advance?
Yes! Margaritas are great for making ahead of time! Blend all of the ingredients. Then store the frozen margaritas in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 days. The alcohol should keep the margaritas from freezing completely.
Make Moonshine Margaritas in Bulk!
Since this delicious margarita stores so well, it’s also great for making in bulk. Multiply the ingredients by the number of guests you wish to serve. Then mix all of the ingredients in the blender. Depending on the number of guests, you may need to blend several batches!
More Fun Fall and Halloween Cocktails
Black Magic Margarita
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 4 oz tequila
- 2 oz Creme de Cassis liqueur
- 2 oz lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 2 mint leaves
- 1/2 cup ice about a handful
- Add tequila, Creme de Cassis, lime juice, syrup, mint leaves, and frozen blackberries to a blender.
- Add a handful of ice cubes to the blender. Firmly place the lid on the blender. Blend until the cocktail reaches the consistency of a slushie. Add more ice as needed.
- Pour the frozen cocktail into a glass.