This simple recipe for 5 Layer Dip uses black beans, sour cream, pico de gallo, guacamole, and cheese to create a delicious dip.
5 Layer Dip is basically a deconstructed, meatless taco. It’s extremely easy to make and doesn’t require very much time.
This layer bean dip incorporates black beans, sour cream, pico de gallo, guacamole, and cheese to make a delicious appetizer. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and is a definite crowd-pleaser!
What is 5 Layer Dip Made Of?
This easy recipe consists of five different layers of ingredients.
- Black beans – Many layered dips contain refried beans. I prefer the flavor of well-seasoned black beans instead.
- Sour cream – This gives the dip a rich, creamy layer.
- Pico de Gallo – Buy it from the store or make your own!
- Guacamole – Either store-bought or homemade works for this recipe. Here’s a great recipe for homemade guacamole.
- Shredded Cheese – Use either shredded cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend of pre-shredded cheese.
- Chives or Green Onions – The chives are a great garnish. But cilantro is also an excellent addition to this dip!
How to Make Mexican 5 Layer Dip
This delicious layer Mexican dip is simple to assemble. Many ingredients are easily purchased at the grocery store. Or make your own for a fresher-tasting dip!
The First Layer – Beans
Step 1 – Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Always be sure to rinse the beans well! Well-rinsed beans are less likely to upset your stomach.
Step 2 – Pour the beans into a covered pot with a smidge of water on low. The idea is to just warm the beans a bit so that they are easier to mash up. Gather the rest of the ingredients. I prefer to make my pico de gallo and guacamole myself, so that’s what I do while the beans cook.
Step 3 – Once the beans are finished, drain them and mash them up with a fork. Then spread the mashed bean mixture over the bottom of a glass serving dish or casserole dish. It doesn’t have to be glass, but it’s visually appealing to see the layers!
Step 4 – Place the dish in the refrigerator for the beans to cool off a bit. Like revenge, 5 Layer Dip is a dish best served cold.
The Second Layer – Sour Cream
Step 5 – Once the beans are cool add the sour cream. Just scoop it out and spread it over the beans. It kind of reminded me of icing a cake. For clearly defined layers be sure to completely cover each layer with the next.
The Third Layer – Pico De Gallo
Step 6 – Drain the pico de gallo of any excess water. Spread it evenly over the layer of sour cream.
Homemade Pico de Gallo
Making pico at home is incredibly quick and easy. This is how I make mine, but ingredients can easily be swapped around to match your tastes.
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1/8 of a red onion (diced)
- Tsp of fresh garlic
- Splash of lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Jalapeno pepper (optional)
Add the ingredients to a small food processor. I have the Ninja Express Chop, which is perfect for making dips and sauces. Pulse the food processor a few times until everything is chopped and blended.
The Fourth Layer – Guacamole
Step 7- Spread the guacamole evenly over the top of the salsa.
Here’s a great recipe for easy homemade guacamole!
The Fifth Layer – Shredded Cheese
Step 8 – Sprinkle cheese over the top of the guacamole. Cheeses like pepper jack, Colby jack, and cheddar work best for this recipe. Personally, I prefer buying a block of cheese and shredding it myself. But bags of shredded cheese save prep time.
Step 9 – Sprinkle chopped green onion, cilantro, or black olives over the top of the cheese. Other topping options include jalapenos or tomatoes.
What’s The Best Chip for This 5 Layer Dip?
The best tortilla chips to serve with 5 Layer Dip are the Tostino’s Scoops. They make it easier to scoop up all 5 layers of the dip, so you experience all the flavors with each bite. No matter what chips you serve, be ready for this dip to be GONE.
5 Layer Dip FAQ’s
Absolutely! Most recipes call for refried beans. My family just prefers black beans, so that’s what I use.
This dip is best made on the same day it’s served. The pico de gallo turns watery as it sits out. And the guacamole will brown within a few hours. It’s quick and easy, so make it a little before your guests arrive! Cover the dip with saran wrap until it’s time to serve.
You may store leftovers in the refrigerator. Keep the layer taco dip in an airtight container. Don’t store the dip for more than 2-3 days. Again, the dip may become watery over time. And the guacamole will brown, so I don’t really recommend keeping leftovers.
Definitely cold! The sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole all taste better chilled! This is a cold dip.
This delicious 5 Layer dip is always a huge hit. Try it for your next party or as a game day appetizer.
More Delicious Dip Recipes
5 Layer Dip
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans
- 6 oz sour cream
- 16 oz pico de gallo homemade or pre-packaged
- 16 oz guacamole homemade or pre-packaged
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions garnish
- Drain and rinse can of black beans. Warm on stove top for about 10 minutes
- Mash black beans and spread over the bottom of a glass pan
- Spread sour cream over the black beans
- Spread pico de gallo over the sour cream. You can use pre-packaged pico or make your own!
- Spread guacamole over the pico de gallo layer. Again, you can use pre-packaged guac or make your own!
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top, completely covering the layer of guacamole.
- Garnish with a little green onion
- Serve with Tostino’s Scoops (or another tortilla chip) and enjoy!