Jesse and I are weird, as if you didn’t already know that. We like Star Wars, talking in weird voices and we eat soup in the summer. Yep, you read that correctly, soup in the summer. Soup is definitely one of our comfort foods, so when we have a day at home to just hang out we like to fill the house with the aromas of a homemade soup. Plus I make good soup, if I do say so myself. A great summer soup is Chicken Tortilla soup because it goes great with an ice cold Corona.
- Chicken (either leftover baked chicken or boiled breasts)
- 2-3 cups of chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 one white onion (diced)
- 1/2 one red onion (diced)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (drained)
- Diced green pepper
- Diced red, orange or yellow pepper (I usually pick 2 or do all 3)
- 1 large jalepeno (diced)
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans
- 1 can black beans
- 4 gloves of garlic
- Cayenne Pepper (however hot you like it)
- Cumin (to taste)
- Chili powder (to taste)
- Fresh cilantro (chop a few sprigs to cook and a few for garnish)
- 1 tsp. lime juice (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
Let’s Get Cookin’
- Boil your chicken in about 1/2 a pot of water until so tender it just falls apart. Remove and shred then add it back to the pot set on medium to medium high heat.
- Add your broth and beans (rinsed thoroughly).
- Let it cook for about 30 minutes and then add the rest of your ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for another 30 minutes. The key is to not overcook your peppers into mush.
- Garnish your soup with cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips and fresh cilantro. This is key to a delicious soup!
- Enjoy! And don’t forget the Corona!